The EZJM is part of the Hanover University of Music, Drama and Media (HMTMH). The EZJM is dedicated to the research, reconstruction, documentation and mediation of Jewish music in all its forms, from synagogue music to paraliturgical and secular musical traditions, in different cultural contexts and epochs. The research focus of the centre is diverse and includes research on Jewish music and sustainability, an online database of Jewish composers and cantors, field research on the repertoire of Romaniote Jewry in Greece, and Hip-Hop and Jewish identity in South Tel-Aviv, as well as research on the gender-specific aspects of Jewish music. The Jewish Music Ensemble gives students the unique and innovative opportunity to engage with Jewish music through academic study coupled with performative encounter and experimentation. The ensemble is open to all interested members of HMTMH.
New Course offerings:
- New focus subject ‘Jewish Music Studies’ in the MA in Music Research and Education
- New course offerings in Jewish Music Studies at both BA and MA levels
For more information, please see the attached PDF (link).
New courses include:
- Introduction to Jewish Music
- Jewish Music in Germany Today
- Stars of David: Jews and Popular Music
- Jewish Music Traditions of the Middle East and North Africa
- Our courses in Jewish Music Studies can be taken as a major or complimentary subject in the MA in Music Research and Education.
- In addition, ‘Jewish Music Studies’ courses can be taken in any of the MA modules.
- All Masters students are also very welcome to take part in our courses.
Bachelor’s degree (BA or BMUS):
- Bachelor’s students across the university are invited to enroll in our new courses.
- BA students wishing to diversify their musical knowledge or those with an interest in Jewish Music or Ethnomusicology are warmly invited to attend.
Course attendance is also possible as a supplementary course in artistic studies.
Career prospects include:
- Academic Career
- Ensemble Leader
- Concert Manager
- Music Teacher
Courses in English: Our English language medium courses are designed to cater to the needs of our international students.
Study requirements for the MA in ‘Music Research and Education’: For all study courses of the HMTMH certain admission requirements apply. However, if you are concerned that you do not meet one or some of the requirements, but are interested in taking our courses, please contact us to discuss your individual needs!
More information about the study requirements can be found at:
Apply until 15 April for the coming winter season!
If you have any questions, please contact us:
Prof. Dr. Sarah M. Roß
Director of the EZJM
Dr. Miranda L. Crowdus